Covid-19: Protecting Clutha Health First Staff and Patients
GP practices have been directed to reduce our face to face consultations by 70% immediately. This means that all patients with booked appointments from Monday 23rd March will be rung to discuss other options rather than coming into the clinic. This could include a phone call with your GP or Nurse Practitioner, issuing a repeat script over the phone. All future appointment requests will be triaged over the phone first.
We ask for your understanding and patience as we work through changing our processes to accommodate these latest directives. Our staff are working in an environment where the rules are changing daily but please be assured that we are here to provide you with the care you need, it might just be delivered in a different way.
- Do not come into the practice unless you have been directed to by our staff.
- We will be offering alternatives to face to face consultations - such as phone consults or in the future, video consultations.
- We will be cancelling all non-essential appointments.
- We encourage you to use our Patient Portal for repeat scripts and checking your results. Please contact us if you want to join up to the Patient Portal.
- We have stopped the ConnectMed Patient Portal online appointments - please ring the general practice for an appointment.
- All prescriptions will be faxed to your selected pharmacy for collection.
- Our flu vaccines have not arrived yet. We will be holding our flu clinics off site, away from the practice and will advertise details once this once is confirmed.
- We will be continuing with Childhood immunisations as per the usual vaccination schedule.
- During this ever evolving and changing situation, please understand that we might not be able to deal with your queries as quickly as usual. We ask for your patience as we work through this together.
Clutha Health First needs to protect our staff and patients from Covid-19.
- If you are concerned that you have been exposed to Covid-19 please do not come to our hospital, call the Covid-19 Health Line 0800 358 5453;
- If you need healthcare at any time of day including during weekends AND have flu like symptoms - such as fever, shortness of breath and cough – please do not arrive at our building – phone us on 03 419 0500 and talk to the Registered Nurse who will provide you with treatment advice or make arrangements for you to be seen at the general practice.
- We need to keep our newborn babies and mothers safe. The mother will nominate one dedicated visitor for the duration of her stay with us. No other visitors are permitted.
- Visiting the Inpatient Ward is strictly between 2pm and 8pm, and only family members are to visit patients please
Keep up to date with the latest information from:
- Southern Health: https://www.southernhealth.nz/novel-coronavirus
- Ministry of Health: https://www.health.govt.nz/our-work/diseases-and-conditions/covid-19-novel-coronavirus
Temporary Closure of CHF Under 6 Walk-in Clinic:
With Covid-19 cases now in the Southern region we want to ensure that we keep our babies and toddlers safe. To help with this from Tuesday 24 March the daily Under 6 Walk-in Clinics have been cancelled and parents will need to ring the general practice for all future appointments.
We know that many of you have really appreciate the convenience of the clinic and we will be sure to let you know when it is back up and running.
We thank you for your understanding.
Payment of Accounts
We ask that you make any payments electronically if you are able – there are two options for these, either
- Internet Banking directly into our account: BNZ 02 0912 0005728 000 or
- Paying online through this secure link: https://sec.paymentexpress.com/pxaccess/pxpay/payform?userid=CluthaCommHealthCo.
- Please use your chart number as a reference.
Take a Tour of Clutha Health First
At Clutha Health First we are extremely proud of the facility we have in our community. Are you interested in taking a look at our faciltiy? Take a virtual tour here.
About Clutha Health First
Clutha Health First is a community owned integrated Hospital and Health Centre based in Balclutha, 60 minutes south of Dunedin in the South Island of New Zealand. The Clutha District with a population of 17,000 is served by Clutha Health First, the only acute hospital in Balclutha.
The Health Centre incorporates the Hospital as well as a large General Practice Group. We are located in the middle of town and a large Rest Home is located next door.
Within our facility there are 15 Inpatient beds which provide a wide variety of acute medical, stabilisation, resuscitation and rehabilitation services, together with a specialised palliative care/family room.
We also have a wide range of Community Services, an Outpatient Department and a primary Maternity Centre.
Emergency cases are handled via the General Practitioners with support of the hospital based Medical Officers. Specialists from Dunedin Hospital visit regularly, minimising the need for patients to travel to Dunedin for some services. In the outlying areas Lawrence, Milton, Owaka and Tapanui have resident doctors and medical centres which service their communities.
With approximately 100 staff in the Clutha Health First facility, we can offer a wide variety of roles within a friendly team environment.
Carparking at Clutha Health First
Clutha Health First provides access to public parking facilities at the main entrance of our facility for our patients and visitors.
We have a total of 17 car parks, two disabled parks and one 5 minute parking position. The latter is to be used for patient drop off. Occasionally the car park is full, in which case parking is available in the public car park located next to RD1 on Charlotte Street.
Parking at CHF is restricted for use by patients and clients visiting the centre.
To allow us to provide the best experience for our patients and visitors, we ask that once this visit is completed, cars should be relocated.
Clutha Health Incorporated and Clutha Health First are pleased to make available the combined Annual Report for the 2018/19 financial year.
Please click here to view; alternatively a hard copy is available for viewing at all Clutha District service centres and libraries.
9-11 Charlotte Street
Phone: 03 419 0500
Fax: 03 419 0501
Opening and Visiting Hours
Inpatient Ward Visiting:
2pm - 8pm daily. If you need to visit outside of these hours, please call 419 0550 prior to discuss this with the patients Nurse.
Maternity Ward Visiting:
2pm - 5pm daily. Partners and immediate family have no restriction on these visiting times.
General Practice Hours:
Doors open, and telephone appointments are taken from 8.30am Monday - Friday.
Consultations start from 9.00 am.
Evening clinics from 6.00pm - 9.00pm.
Urgent clinics from 9.00am - 6.00pm.
Outside of the hours above, patient access is through our triage service by phoning 419 0500.