Wednesday 27 Mar
Clutha Health First
Hauora Tahi Ki Iwi Katea
- Woman killed in West Coast floods named — KEY POINTS Woman found dead near floodwaters north of Hokitika.Waiho Bridge washed out, other roads closed and impassableSH6 opened to one lane between Haast and MakaroraStorm edging north up South Island on Wednesday morningRemnants of Cyclone Trevor set to bring more wet weather to NZ next weekWelfare centres in Haast and Hokitika open Police have named the woman found dead in the West Coast after being swept away by floodwaters.
- Dunedin's link to terror attack prompted visit - PM — Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern says her visit to Dunedin today was in the planning ever since it became known the man accused of the Christchurch terror attack had been living in the city.
- Double-dip Lotto win makes Melbourne man multi-millionaire — A Melbourne man is busy counting more than $A46 million ($NZ48m) after winning division one in Oz Lotto - twice.
- Injured Aaron Smith announces engagement — Aaron Smith clears the ball from the scrum during the Highlanders' match with the Blues in Auckland last week. Photo: Getty The Highlanders are set to be without Aaron Smith for at least a month after the influential All Blacks halfback suffered a serious ankle injury.
- Otago rain warnings lifted, but river levels still high — Part of the Glenorchy-Paradise Rd was closed due to surface flooding yesterday. PHOTO: DOWNER The MetService has lifted rain warnings for the headwaters of Otago Lakes, but Otago Regional Council says river and lake levels are expected to remain high.
- Aerial photos reveal staggering damage — Aerial photos have revealed the staggering impact of flooding on the West Coast.
- Max plane makes emergency landing in US — US airlines are allowed to shuttle the Max planes but can't carry passengers. Photo: Getty Images A Southwest Airlines Boeing 737 Max has made a safe emergency landing in the United States after experiencing an engine problem.
- Unvaccinated NY minors banned as measles spreads — Anyone under 18 not vaccinated against measles is barred from public gathering places, including shopping malls, civic centers, schools, restaurants and even houses of worship in Rockland. Photo: AP A county in New York's northern suburbs has declared a state of emergency over a measles outbreak that has infected more than 150 people, hoping a ban against unvaccinated children in public places alerts parents to the seriousness of the problem.
- Watch: Terrifying near-miss on SH1 — Terrifying footage shot by an Oamaru man has emerged of a driver coming inches away from colliding with oncoming traffic during a dangerous overtaking manoeuvre on SH1.
- Save the Children: 7 killed in airstrike on hospital — A hospital in a rural area of northwest Yemen has been hit by an airstrike, killing seven people and wounding eight others, Save the Children says.
- Man dies after fall from Wellington building — The man fell from a building on Gilmer Terrace. Photo: Google Maps A 19-year-old man has died in Wellington Hospital after falling from a building in the central city.
- Backlash as charges dropped against Smollett — Jussie Smollett maintains his innocence and insists he was attacked. Photo: AP Infuriating Chicago's mayor and police chief, prosecutors have abruptly dropped all charges against Jussie Smollett after the Empire actor was accused of faking a racist, anti-gay attack on himself.
- PM visits Dunedin Islamic kindergarten — She has recently been the international face of New Zealand's grief, but this morning Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern took time to read stories to Dunedin children at an Islamic kindergarten.
- Man dead after Christchurch armed standoff — A man has died from stab wounds after a protracted standoff with armed police in a Christchurch suburban street.
- Denver Chance murder accused named — Police now say Denver Chance was murdered. Photo: Supplied The man charged with Denver Chance's murder has pleaded not guilty.
- MPs from across the political divide stymied gun control — Minister of Defence Ron Mark. Photo: RNZ As recently as last year, New Zealand First MP Ron Mark boasted in Parliament about having repeatedly obstructed attempts to bolster gun control, describing such legislation as "rubbish" and "misguided nonsense".
- Body of missing wedding guest found after two days — Andrew Rance had been missing since Saturday. Photo: NZ Police via NZME. The body of a man missing for two days has been found near his car, discovered in a ditch on a rural Wairarapa road.
- Unity in diversity — Photo: Amir Amini Three University of Otago students embrace at Abbey College on the night of the vigil for the Christchurch terror attack victims in Dunedin.
- One dead in Southland crash — One person is dead after a crash in Southland around midnight last night.
- Family searching for the man who saved 69-year-old — Gail Ellison is searching for the man her saved her life. Photo: Supplied via NZME. The family of 69-year-old Gail Ellison are hoping to find the Good Samaritan who saved her life in Blockhouse Bay.